Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My choice - The University of Sunderland UK

In this post I will shed light on why I selected the University of Sunderland for my Masters. Actually at first I wanted to start my blog after getting to the UK and write about my experiences as I am very much interested in travel writing. But as there is a month in getting the visa I decided to tell people why I selected the University of Sunderland for my postgraduate studies.
The first reason is Affordability. The University of Sunderland is one of the most affordable University in the UK. The tuition fees for Bachelors program is 8500 pounds, for Masters program its 9000 pounds and 10750 pounds for the MBA program. Other than this all international students get a discount of 1500 pounds on their tuition fees. This makes my selected Masters program's fees 7500 pounds which is quite affordable if you compare it with other British universities whose fees range from 8500 to 12500 for Masters. 

The Cost of Living in Sunderland is very low. This is because its a small town in the north of England. One can easily live on 300 pounds per month in Sunderland. This includes room rent, food costs, transportation costs and bills. This is way cheaper than living in London or Manchester where one needs at least 500-600 pounds per month to survive.
Many students from Pakistan and India join small colleges in London and Manchester because they are somewhat cheaper. My advice to them is not to waste their time and money on these small colleges. Even if these colleges are licensed their study conditions and academic environment is way low than universities. The other thing is that these colleges are there just to make money from international students. Their degrees are of no worth in UK. My advice to international students is not to fall in the trap of these colleges and instead join a University. Nevertheless there are some colleges in London which are ranked highly trusted and their degrees are recognized. But the campuses of these college are very small and they dont have the facilities like those in a university.
Another reason that made me chose Sunderland is its proximity to Newcastle which has a population of over a million and is considered a big city in the UK. Newcastle is 30 minutes from Sunderland and students can find part time work there.
Hope this information helps international students in making their minds. Do a lot of research before selecting a education provider as this is about your career and you will be investing a lot of time and money for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment